One of the most useful features for a camera to have when buying a camera for vlogging is a flip screen. These are super handy to ensure that you can keep track of whether you are in focus, or even fully in the shot when vlogging on the move.
So it’s no wonder that there’s a lot of budding youtubers looking for the best vlogging cameras with flip screens, but how do you choose?
- 1 Choosing a vlogging camera with a flip screen
- 2 Canon G7X mk ii – The Youtuber Favourite
- 3 Sony RX100 mark iii
- 4 Panasonic GH5 – Best 4K Flip Screen Vlogging Camera
- 5 Canon 80D – Editors Choice
- 6 Panasonic G85
- 7 Canon 800D/T7i
- 8 Sony WX500 – Best Beginner Vlogging Camera with Flip Screen
- 9 Nikon D5300
- 10 Sony A7
Choosing a vlogging camera with a flip screen
So where do you start when there are just so many great flip screen vlogging cameras to choose from. We’ve compiled a list of some of the top cameras available that have a flip screen so you can ensure that you buy the best one for your budget.
Whether you’re looking for something compact and easy to carry around or something that’s a little more chunky and feature rich, we’ve got you covered from all angles.
Canon G7X mk ii – The Youtuber Favourite
- 1.0-inch, 20.1 Megapixel* CMOS sensor with Canon's new DIGIC 7 Image Processor helps deliver exceptional image quality even in low light
- Features a bright f/1.8 (W) - f/2.8 (T), 4.2x (24-100mm), 9-blade iris diaphragm andBattery IS-equipped lens
- Capture impressively high resolution images with high-speed continuous shooting up to 8 fps in both RAW mode / JPEG mode
- Multi-angle capacitive 3.0" touch panel LCD with a screen resolution of 1.04 million dots and tilt option of 180 Degree up and 45 Degree down
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video in MP4 format with stereo sound. Focal Length-8.8 (W) - 36.8 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-100mm). Focusing Range- Normal/Auto: 2.0 inch- infinity (W), 1.3 feet - infinity (T), Macro/Underwater Macro: 2.0 in. - 1.6 feet (W), Quick: 5.0-65.6 feet (W), 5.0-65.6 feet (T)
We’ve covered this camera in a few blog posts and it really is one of the best performers which is why it’s chosen as the main camera for so many big youtubers including Zoella. What makes this camera one of the best is that it’s pretty much built for vlogging on the move.
With its flip up screen that is perfectly positioned to see yourself when holding the camera either in your hand or on a flexible tripod. The G7X Mark ii captures footage in Full HD at 60fps and also has a useful control ring at the front allowing you greater control over shooting by assigning different functions to the ring.
The portability of this camera is another great feature. It’s one of the lightest on the market and can be carried around pretty easily without causing too much arm pain if vlogging handheld.
Featuring a fast f/1.8 aperture lens, this camera performs brilliantly in low light conditions and for those of you who want a nice depth of field when shooting your videos.
As I’ve said we’ve covered this camera a few times, so if you’d like to know more then read the full review here.
Sony RX100 mark iii
- 209 MP 1"-type Exmor R CMOS sensor ; Optical zoom:2.9x (Optical Zoom during movie recording)
- Operating temperature:32-104°F / 0-40°C.24-70mm equivalent F/18-28 lens
- Continuous shooting up to 10 FPS
- Pop-up electronic OLED viewfinder with 1,440,000 dots
- ISO 160-12800, expandable ISO 100, 125, and 25,600
Now this isn’t the newest version in the RX100 series as we are now on the RX100 mark V at the time of writing this article, but the mark iii still sits very highly on our list and you can currently pick up this top camera at a great price. The RX100 Mark iii features a 180 degree articulating screen for checking yourself out whilst recording.
This camera also has great low light performance due to the 1.8 aperture abilities. Pick up one of these whilst you can as they may become harder to get your hands on as the newer models start coming out.
One of the features that makes this camera stand out against some of the other compact camera competitors is the fact that it has a retractable OLED viewfinder.
This is something that you don’t normally find on a compact camera and you have to resort to using the screen to view what you’re shooting. It’s a feature that allows you to get really fine tuning of your focus point as well as see your subject in greater detail.
Similarly to the G7X Mark II this camera also has a fast f/1.8 aperture lens so low light shooting is a breeze and getting that blurry background is also easy with the RX100 Mark III.
Panasonic GH5 – Best 4K Flip Screen Vlogging Camera
- Professional photo and 4K video performance in a durable magnesium alloy body
- 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds sensor with no low pass filter
- 4K video: internal recording at 4k60/50P (4:2:0 8bit) & 4k30/25P/24P (4:2:2 10bit)
- Variable video frame rates 4K: max. 60Fps & FHD: max. 180Fps.Full size Type A HDMI terminal with cable lock included & twin SD Card slots UHS-II U3 Compatible
- 5-Axis photo/video Dual I.S.. 2.0 up to 5 Stops with compatible LUMIX MFT lenses, plus In-body stabilization Support for classic non-O.I.S. lenses
One of the best cameras out at the moment is the Panasonic GH5 which is the current model trusted by vloggers such as Casey Neistat. The reason that this camera is so well loved is the ability to capture fantastic quality 4k video up to 60fps and the built in image stabilization.
The GH5 really is a premium camera with two SD card slots for a huge amount of storage to make sure you never run out of space for your content. The GH5 is also durable due to the weatherproofing and dustproofing features of the body.
This mirrorless camera also features a flip out screen so you’ve got pretty much all the desirable features you would want in a vlog camera.
Canon 80D – Editors Choice
- 45-point all cross-type AF system* allows for superb autofocus when shooting with the optical viewfinder and focusing area selection modes.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage. Approx. 730g / 25.75oz. (Based on CIPA Guidelines),Approx. 650g / 22.93oz. (Body only)
- 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor helps provide impressive, high-resolution results. Shooting speed of up to 7.0fps makes it an excellent choice for capturing moving subjects
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you shoot video with smooth, fast and accurate autofocus, and stills with instant and precise autofocus.
Next we move into a DSLR and a great start is with the Canon 80D. The latest in Canon’s mid range models this is a great choice and features a fully articulated screen.
Perfect for setting up on your tripod if you’re looking for a bigger camera to use when recording youtube content at home or even as an on the go vlogger camera, but it can become a bit heavy when paired with a wide angle lens and added to the end of a gorillapod.
This is one of the cameras that Casey Neistat used for a while before transitioning to Panasonic to film his content. It’s also the camera that I personally own, so I may be a bit biased but I absolutely love it and if you’re looking for a Canon with a flip screen then this is a great choice.
- Less bulky than a DSLR, the LUMIX G85 is the compact 4K video-enabled Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless (DSLM) camera with true-to-life photo image quality
- Class leading 5-axis body stabilization that when mated to LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilized lenses for a "Dual IS" effect
- 4K Video recording at 30p/24p 100 Mbps plus a 3.5mm port for external microphones. (Full HD 60p 28Mbps). Flash type TTL Built-in-Flash, GN9.0 equivalent (ISO200 ・m) / GN6.2 equivalent (ISO100 ・m), Built-in Pop-up (Reference）
- Weather sealed splash proof and dustproof, rugged enough to withstand even the most challenging environments
- 16-Megapixel MFT eliminates the need for low-pass sensor filters while boosting fine detail resolving power sensor
Another Panasonic to enter into our list is the G85 and the first of our flip screen choices to allow for 4K video recording. This is a fantastic camera and one for the serious shooters who want to get the best possible quality of video out there at the moment.
The G85 also features in camera 5-axis stabilization so even if recording whilst moving, this camera will help give you the best possible footage.
This camera is a slightly upgraded version of the super budget friendly, Panasonic G7.
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor.
- Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth. Lens used: EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM (at focal length of 55mm)
- High-Speed continuous shooting at up to 6.0 fps. Weight Approx. 18.77 oz. / 532g (including battery pack and SD memory card) Approx. 17.11 oz. / 485g (body only)
Another canon flip screen camera to add into the list is their latest entry level DSLR, the Canon 800D.
Coming in at a lower price point and more suited for beginners or those looking for a DSLR but with a smaller budget, this camera has a fully articulated screen and records in full HD and comes with an 18-55mm kit lens that has image stabilization.
The 800D, or Rebel T7i as it is known in other parts of the world features built in wi-fi allowing you to quickly transfer photos and videos over to your mobile phone to post online or edit.
Sony WX500 – Best Beginner Vlogging Camera with Flip Screen
- 30x Optical/60x Clear Image Zoom ZEISS (Trademarked) Vario-Sonnar T* Lens. Playback Functions: Beauty Effect, BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI), 9/25-frame index view, Slideshow, Forward/Rewind (Movie), Delete, Protect, Motion Shot Video, TRILUMINOS Color*13, 4K image output.
- 18.2MP Exmor R (Trademarked) CMOS Sensor for superb low light images
- Versatile video w/ high-quality XAVC S (Trademarked), AVCHD & MP4 formats
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi (Trademarked) w/ NFC
- In the box: Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-BX1), AC Adaptor (AC-UB10C / UB10D), Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual
Another Sony flip screen camera to add to our list is the WX500 which has a 180 degree tiltable LCD screen and comes in a budget friendly price whilst still offering great quality video at full 1080p.
The WX500 has built in wi-fi and NFC for easy sharing to your mobile device whilst on the go. The CMOS sensor will also allow for great low light recording although not as good as some of your higher priced cameras.
- 24MP DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter
- 39-point AF system with 3D tracking and 3D matrix metering II
- 5 frames per second continuous shooting
- ISO 100 - 12800 (Expandable to 25600)
- 3.2" Vari-angle LCD with 1,037,000 dots
The first and only Nikon flip screen camera to enter our list is the D5300 which offers a fully flippable screen allowing you great flexibility for vlogging.
The D5300 captures video at full HD 1080p at a framerate of 50/60fps. This camera also has continuous live autofocus to ensure that your subject is always sharp when recording your videos.
We’d probably go as far as saying that this is one of the best nikon vlogging cameras on the market at the moment.
- Sony Alpha a7 Mirrorless Digital Camera - 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens (SEL2870) - Rechargeable Battery (NP-FW50) - AC Adapter (AC-UB10) - Shoulder Strap - Body Cap - Lens Caps - Micro USB Cable - PlayMemories Home App - Image Data Converter Version 4 Software - Sony 1 Year Warranty - Bundle Includes: - Holster Case - 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card - Cleaning Kit - LCD Screen Protector 3" - 55mm UV Filter
- Adorama Camera Valuable Bundle. Kit Includes.
- Sony Alpha a7 Mirrorless Digital Camera, 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Rechargeable battery (NP-FW50), AC adaptor (AC-UB10), Shoulder strap, Body cap, Lens Caps, Micro USB cable, PlayMemories Home App, Image Data Converter Version 4 Software, Sony 1 Year USA Warranty.
- Rezo TLZ-20 Holster-style Bag for Digital SLR with Compact Zoom Lens, Black. Legacy Series 16GB SDHC Full Size SD Memory Card. 55mm UV (Ultra Violet) Glass Filter.
- Adorama 3in Digital Camera LCD Screen Protector Kit. Pro Optic Pro Digital 55mm Multi Coated UV Filter.
The Sony A7 is a full frame mirrorless camera, not to be confused with the A7R and A7S models also available.
The A7 has a 24mp sensor that can deliver incredibly high quality photos and videos at 1080p 60fps for smooth footage of 24p for that classic cinema feel.
The A7 also has the ability to plug in an external microphone for those looking to upgrade their audio and a headphone jack to monitor the recording as it’s happening.
Now the A7 doesn’t actually have a full articulating screen, but it does have the ability to connect to your phone and see what’s being recorded on your mobile phone as a second screen.
This is a great workaround for those looking for the ability to see themselves.
So those are our best choices of cameras with flip screens. We kind of cheated with that last one, but it’s still a fantastic camera for the price. There are so many choices, so hopefully this makes it easier for you to make up your mind.
What flip screen vlogging camera is catching your eye at the moment? We’d love to know in the comments below.
Last update on 2018-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API