When it comes to buying any camera, whether for video or photography there are a few brands that really stand out in this space and one of those is Canon. Canon make some of the most fantastic DSLR’s in the market today and it’s the brand that I’ve been using for almost ten years now for blog photography and vlogging.
There are so many different models of Canon camera that you can sometimes get confused, so I’m going to go through the best choices of Canon cameras for vlogging and what type of youtubers they would be most suited for.
- The advanced video capabilities of the PowerShot G7 X Mark II camera can capture moments in the quality they deserve
- Features a large 1.0 inch, 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that helps capture high quality images and videos with a wide dynamic range. Autofocus system features tile autofocus and manual focus. Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degrees Celsius. Note charging time varies considerably depending on the remaining battery power
- An aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24-100 millimeter), this lens equipped to capture a variety of situations with precision
- High resolution, 3.0 inches LCD monitor that tilts up 180 degrees and down 45 degrees is ideal for self portraits and capturing pictures at high and low angles with ease
- Built in WiFi for on the go convenience and the ability to easily post your images to select social networking and media sites
One of the most loved cameras used by hundreds of vloggers around the world. This camera has all the great features that a vlogger could need. The Canon G7X Mark II features a lightweight body, flip up screen, great low light abilities and good battery life.
This camera is probably the most ideal vlogging camera for those looking for a compact but high quality camera that they can carry around with relative ease.
Want to learn more about this camera? Read our full review of the Canon G7X Mark II here.
- The EOS 80D camera’s Intelligent Viewfinder helps bring the thrill of SLR photography with each use
- The Intelligent Viewfinder displays AF points and AF mode, has a grid display, a horizontal electronic level, plus numerous other points of information
- For next level AF operation, the EOS 80D camera has a wide area, 45 point, all cross type AF system with low luminance performance to EV 3 and 4 types of AF area selection modes
- The 242 Megapixel (APS C) CMOS sensor captures high resolution images and has refined individual pixels that enable high ISO speeds (16000 for still photographs, 12800 for movies)
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your compatible Canon camera into a high-quality webcam
The latest model in the mid-range of dslr’s for Canon is the Canon EOS 80D and is probably one of the best canon dslr’s available at the moment for filming youtube videos.. Coming in as the most recent upgrade for the older model of the Canon EOS 70D. It’s the camera that I personally own and I absolutely love it. It has all the features you would want including fully articulating flip screen, great low light abilities, shoots in full HD at 60 frames per second so you can film those silky smooth slow motion b-roll clips. With the added bonus of being able to upgrade your lenses and buy different types of lenses from third party brands, this camera gives you so much freedom and choice over what type of video you want to shoot.
The Canon 80D also has some of the best autofocus that you can find on any DSLR at the moment. This is a really important thing to have when you’re a vlogger as filming an entire vlog only to find out that you’re not even in focus would be a nightmare. This camera has got your back.
Another feature that makes this a great camera is the built in wi-fi and NFC. This has saved me so much time in the past, by quickly being able to transfer clips and photos from the camera to my phone so I can quickly edit and share it online without having to have access to a computer.
This camera is ideal for anyone who wants to film themselves at home in front of the camera. Perhaps a beauty vlogger would find this the perfect camera. It’s also great for taking out with you if you want to vlog on the move, but it may be pretty heavy if you’re planning on holding it out in front of you. It’s also great if you’re looking for silky smooth B-roll due to being one of the best canon 1080p 60fps cameras on the market.
Want to read more about this camera? Read the full review for the Canon 80D here.
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
- High-Speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF lock)
- Built-in Wi-Fi**, NFC*** and Bluetooth
If you’re looking for a camera that is compact and gives you the ability to use different lenses like you would on a DSLR then the next two cameras are probably right up your street. First up is the EOS M6.
The M6 features again a flip screen that flips up above the camera so you can see yourself whilst vlogging. It’s super lightweight and won’t give you arm ache should you be taking it out to vlog on the move.
Autofocus ability is again pretty great on this camera with the built in dual pixel autofocus. This will keep you perfectly sharp when vlogging and won’t leave you suffering with blurry footage at the end of your recording session.
Video quality on this camera is also fantastic, with the M6 being able to shoot 1080p at 60frames per second which is ideal for that cinematic B-Roll.
This camera would suit anyone looking for a high quality vlogging camera that gives you the freedom to change lenses. Possibly ideal for a travel vlogger or those who like to film on the move.
Want to read more about this camera? Read the full Canon EOS M6 review here.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Phase detection
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS C) Sensor
- Built in Wi Fi, NFC and Bluetooth
- Intuitive Touchscreen, 3.0 inch Tilt type LCD
- AF Points:Up to 49 points (Maximum)
One of the latest releases in Canons mirrorless range is the M100. This camera is ideal for those looking to step up from a point and shoot camera and venture into the world of using different lenses on a camera body but without investing in a large DSLR with lots of different buttons.
The M100 features a flip up screen allowing you to see what you’re filming should you be standing in front of the camera, this is ideal for vlogging on the move to make sure you are in focus. Again this camera also features canon’s dual pixel autofocus for quick and accurate focus abilities.
Wi-fi and NFC makes this camera great for shooting and quickly sharing the video to your smartphone when you don’t have access to a computer for quick and easy sharing online.
Full write up of this camera is coming soon.
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100-32000; expandable up to 50-102400 (equivalent ISO).
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in- camera still frame grab of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
- Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or live view shooting; LCD monitor has a full touchscreen interface, including selection of AF area.
- Excellent performance - up to 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed with high-performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your Canon camera into a high-quality webcam, or do the same using a clean HDMI output.
One of the top models in Canons DSLR range is the 5D Mark IV. It’s also the first canon DSLR to come with 4K video capabilities meaning that this camera gives you some of the highest quality footage available on the market. Now that’s not to say that you should upload your content in 4K as there are few devices at the moment that allow people to watch 4K video, but shooting in 4K and exporting as 1080p will give you a higher quality video than if you just shot at 1080p.
This is also a full frame camera meaning that it has fantastic low light capabilities especially when paired with a fast lens like a Canon 35mm f1.4L ii. Not for the average shooter, this camera does cost a lot more than the others on this list, but this camera is definitely an investment that will stand the test of time.
One thing this camera does lack is a swivel screen which is probably a major down point for those of you who like to see yourself when filming, but if you’re more of a cinematic youtuber who prefers to make short films or really high quality youtube videos then the missing swivel screen shouldn’t be too big a deal.
- 26.2 Megapixel full frame CMOS sensor
- Optical viewfinder with a 45 point all cross type AF system. Compatible Lenses: Canon EF lenses (excluding EF S and EF M lenses)
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with phase detection and Full HD 60p
- DIGIC 7 Image Processor, GPS, Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth low energy
- Vary angle touch screen, 3.0 inch LCD
Again one of the latest top of the range consumer DSLR cameras is the Canon 6D Mark ii. This one does come with a built in swivel screen so may be a better choice than the above 5D Mark iv, if this is a feature that you really want to have.
Also a full frame DSLR, the 6D will give you great abilities in lower light situations with less need to bump up the ISO and increase the noise in your clips. Autofocus is fast and accurate in this camera due to the fantastic 45 cross-type AF points that make canon cameras some of the best focusing gear on the market.
The 6D is also lighter than the chunkier 7D range but still contains amazing technologies making it a step up from the Canon 80D we reviewed earlier. The main different between this and the 7D would have to be the fact that this camera doesn’t shoot at 4K which if that’s a feature you really want, you may be better off paying that little bit extra for the 7D.
So there you have it, those are some of the best canon vlogging cameras available on the market at the moment. I’ll be sure to update this list should any new models be announced as time goes on.
As always, any questions then please leave them in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer them for you.