Sony make some of the best vlogging cameras at the moment and there are so many choices that it can be hard to choose which one is best for you and your needs. We’re going to run down the best sony vlogging cameras of the moment.
First up, we should maybe run through what makes Sony cameras some of the best video cameras on the market at the moment. Well Sony have really found their angle by producing some of the best quality video specs of allowing you to record up to 4K in a wide number of the models that they produce. This is something that you really don’t see in Canon or Nikon alternatives.
They also manage to do this by fitting them into much smaller camera bodies as you’ll see below. This makes them some of the most desirable cameras that money can buy.
Last updated: September 2018
The Best Sony Vlogging Cameras Of 2018
Sony RX100 Mark V
Our top pick would be the latest model of the Sony RX100, the mark five and there are plenty of reasons why this one comes out on top. The Mark V is one of the only compact cameras that can shoot in the highest resolution currently available of 4K. There are currently very few cameras that record at that level and to have that ability in a camera so small.
The RX100 V also has incredibly accurate and fast autofocus and has built in face detection unlike the previous models that only used contrast detection autofocus.
Another great feature of this camera is the slow-mo capabilities. This camera is fantastic for slow motion footage, although this can eat through your battery pretty quickly if you are shooting a lot of it.
The RX100 doesn’t let you change lenses which is also a major time saver if you don’t want the hassle of having to mess around with lens changes in order to get your shot, although this only has a zoom of 24-70mm, so if you’re looking to shoot telephoto, then maybe you’re better looking at some alternatives.
- ELECTRONIC VIEW FINDER: retractable Tru-Finder EVF provides sharp resolution, bright self-illumination, and high contrast to view shots and adjust settings through a ZEISS T* coated eyepiece.
- AUTO FOCUS: World's fastest (0.05 sec.) hybrid AF system (contrast + phase) which is great for action and wildlife photography
- AF DETECTION: The most comprehensive phase detection coverage in a compact camera utilizing 315 Auto Focus points
- SHOOTING SPEED: World's fastest continuous shooting speed at 24fps3 w/ autofocus and auto exposure tracking to ensure exceptional high-speed photography
- IMAGE SENSOR: 20.1 megapixel 1" Exmor RS stacked back illuminated CMOS sensor w/ DRAM for outstanding image quality and continuous shooting.Battery life(still images)(CIPA):Up to 330 shots / 165 minutes
Now although there’s a newer model of this camera available on the market now, I still think this camera is a great buy for vlogging in 2018. Sure the battery life isn’t as good as the newer models, but this is a full frame mirrorless camera that features in-body stabilisation. This is an incredibly useful feature to have on a camera that you’ll be using for youtube vlogging.
Pair this with external microphone input, great low light abilities due to the full frame sensor and the ability to shoot video in 1080p at 60fps in S-Log2 allowing you better abilities for color grading and you’re onto a pretty good camera for the price. It is a few years old now and as I said there is a newer model but for those of you on a bit more of a tight budget this one may be a great option to consider.
The A7ii features a tilt screen which won’t really help you if you plan on seeing yourself whilst you’re filming but I think that’s probably a good thing as it will make you look directly into the lens rather than the screen and engage with your audience more.
I actually sold my Canon 80D to buy one of these. You can see example photos captured on the Sony A7ii over on our travel blog.
- World's first 5-axis in-body image stabilization in a full-frame camera.
- Use your favorite lenses without blur from camera shake.
- Capture stunning images with full-frame, 24.3MP resolution.
- Fast hybrid AF with phase-detection - 30% faster than a7.
- Viewfinder Type:0.5-type electronic viewfinder (colour)
This crop sensor interchangeable camera has fantastic 4K recording capabilities along with internal stabilization. One of the features that this camera doesn’t have, is a fully articulating screen. The A6500 only has a semi flippable screen that moves up 90 degrees and cannot be viewed from the front. For those looking to get around this, you can attach an external monitor and stick it on the hot shoe at the top.
The A6500 also has a mic input port allowing you to attach an external microphone which gives it the plus over the RX100V to give you crisper audio.
Another benefit of the 6500 is that you can shoot in log, letting you have much more abilities to grade your footage in post production.
- 24.2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ advanced processing up to ISO 51.200
- Wide 425 phase detection AF points, Fast 0.05 sec. AF acquisition
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization steadies every lens. Silent Shooting. Noise Reduction :Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal/Low/Off
- 11fps continuous shooting to 269 frames at 24.2MP w/ AE/AF tracking
- 4K movie w/ 2.4x oversampling4, full pixel readout, no pixel binning
The Sony A6000 has a 24.3mp APS-C sensor and is classed as one of the best entry level mirrorless cameras on the market over the last few years. With built in wi-fi and NFC this camera can allow you to connect to your phone and send footage/photos directly to your mobile quickly and easily.
Some of the great video features that this camera have is the video peaking and zebras allowing you to take greater control over your video footage for those with a bit more of an understanding on shooting video.
The autofocus on this model is pretty great too with over 170 phase detection points and 25 contrast detecting points. There are other cameras on the market with better focus but for the price, this is a pretty great camera for filming.
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and Focus Sensitivity Range :EV 0 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200). Lens compatibility- Sony E-mount lenses
- Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continious shooting
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots.Viewfinder Type:0.39 in-type electronic viewfinder (color)
Sony RX100 Mark iv
Next up is the older model of the RX100, the mark iv. This camera is a fantastic compact camera that like the newer model shoots in 4k. The Mark iv has great slow motion capabilities due to its ability to shoot up to 1000fps, so if you love your cinematic slowmo b-roll then this camera has your back.
For those with a better understanding of video editing or even if you fancy just learning then the RX100 mark iv allows you to shoot in S-Log which gives you a greater degree of flexibility when editing.
With the ability to shoot in low light situations due to the wide aperture of f1.8 this camera is a great compact for all environments.
- World's first1 201 MP 1" Exmor RS stacked back illuminated CMOS, High resolution 4K movie recording with direct pixel readout and no pixel binning, Super slow-motion movie3 HFR (High frame rate) up to 960 fps (40x)
- Operating temperature:Approx. 0-40°C (32-104°F).Super-speed Anti-Distortion Shutter at max 1/32000 sec up to 16fps, Bright F18- F28 ZEISS Vario-Sonar T* lens (24-70mm), Fast Intelligent AF thanks to the new Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Retractable XGA OLED Tru-Finer viewfinder and Sharp 3" multi-angle LCD, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi and NFC w/ camera apps, Dual record of 168MP photos while shooting movie w/ auto settings. Focal length : f is equal to 8.8-25.7mm
- Enhanced pro-video functions and NTSC switchable. Power Consumption : DC3.6 Volt (supplied battery) / DC5.0 Volt (supplied AC Adaptor)
This is one of the only cameras that we’ve featured that is a dedicated video camcorder and this is the FDR-AX53. The reason that we’ve included this camera is due to the 4K recording abilities and fully articulated screen allowing you to see yourself when filming.
With built in super smooth image stabilization this handycam is a fantastic camera for those looking for a dedicated video shooter. The AX53 has a great wide angle allowing you to get yourself completely in frame when shooting handheld shots aimed at yourself. You can also attach an external microphone to this camera giving you better audio quality to match the crisp 4K footage.
The manual control ring at the front is also customisable allowing you to change the functionality that you adjust when turning it.
If photography isn’t something that appeals to you then you should definitely consider this camera.
- 4K XAVC-S recording with 16.6MP, Exmor R sensor, B.O.SS stabilization
- ZEISS lens(26.8mm) 20x optical zoom in 4K, 30x Clear Image Zoom in 4K
- 3.0" LCD (Touch panel), EVF, Wi-Fi/NFC, manual ring, night shot, 4K Time-lapse capture
- Built-in Zoom Microphone. Minimum Focus Distance- approx. 13/32 Inch (Wide), approx. 31 1/2 Inch (Tele), approx. 1 cm (Wide), approx. 80 cm (Tele). Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Still Image)- f=26.8-536.0 mm (16:9) f=32.8-656.0 mm (4:3).Focal Length (35 mm equivalent) (Video)- f=26.8-536.0 mm (16:9)2
- In-the-box: Rechargeable Battery Pack(NP-FV70/NP-FV70A) (1); AC Adaptor (1); Power Cord (1); Operating Guide(1); HDMI(micro) Cable (1); micro USB Cable (1)
Those are our top picks of the Sony cameras for vlogging in 2018, if none of these have really convinced you that you should pick up a Sony camera for youtube and you fancy checking out some of our other suggestions then why not have a look at what we consider to be the best vlogging cameras available or if you’re on a bit more of a budget then perhaps this cheap sony vlogging camera is better suited for you.
Last update on 2019-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API